POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Input file size restrictions?? : Re: Input file size restrictions?? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Input file size restrictions??
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 6 May 2006 06:08:53
Message: <445c75b5$1@news.povray.org>
> Other than that, you requested I attempt MegaPOV on that machine, and report
> results.  I actually avoided the bz2 stuff, and just downloaded the tar
> file. But trying to 'tar xvf' it on the altix, it reported "doesnt seem to
> be a tar file".

	Tar archives are usually compressed with gzip (tar.gz) or bzip2 (tar.bz2).
Hence you should also pass the proper option to decompress the archive, e.g.
tar xvzf archive.tar.gz  (note the 'z' for the gzip'ed archive; for an archive
compressed with bzip2 you could use 'j' instead, but this option/decompressor
might not be supported by the tar utility installed on your machine).

	In any case, testing the AMD64 MegaPOV binary is no priority, as it will
normally fail on the Itanium as soon as the  megapov  command is ran.

	- NC