POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : A sign rotating back and forth. : Re: A sign rotating back and forth. Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:05:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A sign rotating back and forth.
From: Chris B
Date: 4 May 2006 09:39:24
Message: <445a040c$1@news.povray.org>
"RusHHouR" <gee### [at] mailnu> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I'm making a simple animation with camera sweeping over the scene.
> As usual.
>
> But I wanna go further, and make a sign (see image link below) flap
> as if winds were blowing on it.
>
> http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9836/taggtrad9rh.jpg
>
> Image shows "skylt" rotated at x-10
>
> object {skylt
> rotate <-10,0,0>
> translate <0.2,3.9,0>}
>
> How would one do to make it flap from rotate x 5 to x -10 continously
> through the animation?
> Can this be achieved?
>
> Thanks
>
> /RH

Hi R,

The following simplified example illustrates one way of getting something to
swing based on the clock variable.
This assumes a 5 second animation as the clock variable passes from 0 to 1
with a 2 second swing.

// Command Line settings    +kfi0 +kff20    Use 320*240,No AA
camera {location  <2,-0.5,0> look_at <0,-0.5,0> angle 50}
light_source {<30, 10, -300> color rgb 2}
#include "math.inc"

#declare MyClock = clock*5;
#declare SecondsPerCycle = 2; // One complete flap every 2 seconds

// Calculate a number that varies linearly between -1 and +1 over the cycle
#declare CyclePosition = mod(MyClock,SecondsPerCycle)*2-1;

// Apply a sine function to give a value that stays out at the extremes
longer
#declare CycleFactor = sind(90*CyclePosition);

cylinder {0,-y,0.05 pigment {color rgb <1,1,0>} rotate
x*(CycleFactor*7.5-2.5)}

Of course a sign wouldn't swing naturaly in wind, because the force varies
quite a bit as the sign moves, so you might want to add a bias so that it
stays longer at the far end of the swing than when it's down in the full
force of the wind. I assume you don't want to get into modelling the exact
behaviour.

Anyway, hope it gives you some ideas.

Regards,
Chris B.