POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Roller Coaster WIP 6 (MPEG1 Link: 4.7 MB) : Re: Roller Coaster WIP 6 (MPEG1 Link: 4.7 MB) Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Roller Coaster WIP 6 (MPEG1 Link: 4.7 MB)
From: DJ Wiza
Date: 3 May 2006 18:26:22
Message: <44592e0e$1@news.povray.org>
David Brickell wrote:

>> At every frame, it tries to read two variables from a text file.
>> These two variables tell my script the current location and speed.  If
>> it can't find this file, it starts from the beginning.
>>
>> So by creating this file yourself, you can make it start somewhere in
>> the middle.
>>
>> -DJ
>

> So you have to run the simulation up to the point in the track you wish
> to render from so it has the correct location and speed.  That makes sense.
>
> Patiently waiting for next render ;)
>
> Dave.

Its going to be awhile.  I've gotten the banking to be smoother by using
a spline for up vectors, which fixed the kink in the track, but I
haven't implemented the double-crossing of the up vectors to make
vertical track work right, so really its just luck that the track
appears and banks correctly.  A track tie still appears wrong, showing
that it still isn't right, it just looks right in most cases.

I've also fixed the spine rail.  It no longer goes up and down, causing
track ties to appear in the bottom of the spine.  This was being caused
by rotating the vector y over the vector of the direction of travel, so
track that had a slope caused the spine to be closer to the bezier
defining the track.

In any case, I don't really think its enough change to warrant a new
upload.  I thought of making a 60 fps 10-sample motion blur render, but
that would take almost 4 days, and I'd rather have the CPU time devoted
to test renders of the support track, which I haven't even begun working on.

-DJ