POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Image_map like decals : Re: Image_map like decals Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image_map like decals
From: Chris B
Date: 3 May 2006 05:41:44
Message: <44587ad8$1@news.povray.org>
"danyolgiax" <d.o### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> note that train.png is 300x100 png image!
>
> Ok it works! but I can't understand those values:
>
> translate <1.5,0.5,0>
> scale <3,0,0>
> translate <-4.5,-0.5,0>

Hi Dany,

The two translates seem to cancel each other out and the scale factor should
be <3,1,1>.You should find a warning in the message stream to tell you that
scaling by zero is not valid and that POV-Ray has automatically substituted
'1's where you specified '0's

Despite the resolution of the image, it will always get mapped initially to
a 1 unit square with it's bottom left corner at the origin and  its top
right corner at x=1,y=1. By scaling the image up by a factor of 3 in the 'x'
dimension you effectively restore the original proportions of the image.

Scaling takes place relative to the origin, so when you use translate
'<1.5,0.5,0>' you move the bottom left corner to x=1.5,y=0.5, then scaling
by x*3,y*1 puts the bottom left corner at x=4.5,y=0.5. Your second translate
therefore moves the bottom left corner back to the origin.

So, all in all these three lines do the same as just specifying:
scale <3,1,1>

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Chris B.