POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render Window: Selection Lasso rather than Selection Rectangle : Re: Render Window: Selection Lasso rather than Selection Rectangle Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:16:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Window: Selection Lasso rather than Selection Rectangle
From: Alain
Date: 2 May 2006 22:19:15
Message: <44581323$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 02/05/2006 02:41:
> "Kyle" <hob### [at] gatenet> schreef in bericht
>
>>Hi Sven.
>>
>>A common practice is to use #declare and #if statements in your scene to
>
> control the rendering of
>
>>certain objects or groups of objects.  For example, you may declare
>
> something like this at the top
>
>>of your scene:
>>
>>#declare draw_sphere true;
>>
>>Then have an #if statement in your scene to control rendering of the
>
> object:
>
>>#if ( draw_sphere )
>>  ... code for the sphere goes here ...
>>#end
>>
>>I often use this technique to control detailed vs. simple textures also.
>>

> I was going to suggest the same thing!!! My scenes generally start with a
> whole array of such switches, turning objects on or off. Combined with the
> selection rectangle, testing is easy. I do not feel the need of a lasso,
> frankly.
>
> Thomas

Also, rendering an irregular shaped area could ultimately be slower than a slightly to
large area.
This will be due to a substentialy more complex code. The code for a simple square
section is
simple: you limit the region to render. That for an arbitrary free-hand capture will
need to test
every pixel against the desired area. You may also need to render, but not display, in
a, square,
region larger than the selected area.

--
Alain