POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3.6 crashes : Re: POV-Ray 3.6 crashes Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.6 crashes
From: DJ Wiza
Date: 2 May 2006 14:47:22
Message: <4457a93a$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> I've been having a problem with running a render recently. The scene in
> question is parse-heavy (it takes about 30 minutes to parse on my iBook),
> but I don't know if that's relevant. It gets to about 40 million tokens
> (not always the same number, though) before throwing the following error:
>
> "The POV-Ray core rendering code threw an unhandled exception.
> The backend thread has been shut down and you will not be able to perform
> any more renders.
> It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you save your work and exit POV-Ray now.
> (Note that if internal structures have been damaged POV-Ray may crash
> immediately after you click OK)."
>
> ....and the following parse error in the messages pane:
>
> "Parse error: out of memory. Cannot allocate 90720 bytes for fn:
> FunctionEntry."
>
> This is from the standard POV 3.6 download, installed under XP Pro (service
> pack 2) on a 2.7GHz AMD-FX55 with 2GB RAM. The same scene runs fine on my
> office machine (0.9MHz Win98, POV 3.6 again), and my iBook (POV 3.6.1 Mac).
>
> It can't be running out of memory; the peak usage should be no more than
> 600MB.
>
> Has anybody else seen this error, and, if so, know why it occurs?
>
> Bill

Are you doing any file I/O in your scene?  If so, make sure you have the
proper closing parantheses in your #write directives.  In my current
project, I missed one and it would cause POV-Ray to crash with the error
you gave.  For example, this:

#write (file2,"
         object {
                 TrackTie
                 Reorient_Trans(y,",raxis,")
                 Reorient_Trans(z,",(point2-point1)*(x+z),")
                 Reorient_Trans(",(point2-point1)*(x+z),",",point2-point1,")
                 translate ",point1,"
                 pigment { color rgb <1,1,0> }
         }"

Notice the missing ")" at the end?  That's what was causing my problem.

-DJ