POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray.org links : Re: povray.org links Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray.org links
From: Chris B
Date: 2 May 2006 07:57:13
Message: <44574919$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
message news:445624bb@news.povray.org...
> Mr Seb wrote:
>> Don't know really where to post it...
>>
>> How can I submit a link in the povray.org link list ? How can I report
>> broken links ?
>
> at the moment, neither really ... the links DB isn't really being
> maintained
> at the moment (and nor has it for some time).
>
> if I could get together a number of volunteers willing to audit it then
> I'd
> set up a front-end that would allow them to do so, once I had time.

Hi Guys,

Would it be practical to dump the list to a flat file that could be updated
and subsequently loaded back into the database (e.g. XML or CSV or something
akin).

Then, if Jim is able to run the links from that list through a tool and flag
the ones that need tracking down, we could divide up the work and collate
the results into a format that would not immediately require a front-end (I
know you guys are very busy right now). New links could be gathered through
the newsgroup and added in before sending you a consolidated file, all as a
single one-time operation.

If there's a unique ID from the database that we can keep associated with
the individual records, then I would think it should also be possible to
preserve associated and generated information such as the 'popularity' data
(depending of course on the format of the database).

If this is practical we'd obviously need to thrash out some details, but
it's just a thought of a way we could do it without absorbing too much of
your time.

Best Regards,
Chris B.