POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : A Test of Two Techniques (584 kbbu) : Re: A Test of Two Techniques (584 kbbu) Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:43:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Test of Two Techniques (584 kbbu)
From: John VanSickle
Date: 1 May 2006 17:49:08
Message: <44568254$1@news.povray.org>
Anthony D'Agostino wrote:

> That's an excellent teqnique to save RAM. And the on-and-off effect is very
> neat, even thought it isn't intended.

It's intended as a demonstration of what's going on, and how the memory
savings work.  For a final rendering, I'd set the zoom value for
clipping to the same value as the zoom value for the camera; when I do
that, the clipping takes place entirely off-camera, and is not seen in
the final frames.

I used a similar technique in the Sports round of the IRTC.  I modeled a
stadium full of robots, which took far more memory than I have installed
on my machine; a simple bit of code allows me to check for robots that
are entirely off-screen (bounding sphere versus viewing frustrum), and
when that happened that robot wasn't parsed.  This reduced memory
requirements by ninety percent.

The main weakness of the technique is that if there is a reflective
surface, the reflection in that surface may show objects blinking into
and out of existence.  For a small, curved reflective surface, this is
not a problem, but for a flat or gently curved large surface, the
blinking may be too painfully obvious.

Regards,
John