POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : using a .jpeg as a texture : Re: using a .jpeg as a texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using a .jpeg as a texture
From: Chris B
Date: 28 Apr 2006 04:16:38
Message: <4451cf66@news.povray.org>
"mine" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4451c4262b743d3e16cc43700@news.povray.org...
> "PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> "mine" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> > I want to use a .jpeg format picture as a texture, how do I do it?
>>
> ... snip ...
>
> Thanks for the help.I tried using an 'image map'.I put in:
>
> plane { <0, 1, 0>, 0
>  pigment { image_map {jpeg "pavement1-512x512.jpeg"}
>  }
> }
>
> but I get "Parse Error: cannot open JPEG file.". The jpeg is in the same
> directory as the .pov file. can you help?

Hi,

I tried pasting your sample into a scene file and creating a jpeg of the
name you've used and it worked fine on Windows XP with POV-Ray 3.6.

A few possibilities spring to mind -
1. Your file name may not be exactly the same (l (L)instead of 1 (one),
underscore instead of hyphen, space in front of or at the end of the file
name, case difference (p vs P).)
2. Something a bit odd with the file format (incorrect conversion to JPEG,
corrupted file)
3. Something operating system specific about the name - try renaming it to
aaa.jpg and see if that works.

p.s. with the plane you defined you won't see much as the image is projected
onto the XY plane. You need <0,0,1> or to rotate the pigment through x*90.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Chris B.