POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Roller Coaster WIP 4 (MPEG1/DivX links) : Re: Roller Coaster WIP 4 (MPEG1/DivX links) Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:59:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Roller Coaster WIP 4 (MPEG1/DivX links)
From: David Brickell
Date: 26 Apr 2006 19:57:52
Message: <44500900$1@news.povray.org>
DJ Wiza wrote:
> First rendering of a complete ride!!  Links:
>
> http://www.sohcahtoa.net/videos/antigone.m1v
> http://www.sohcahtoa.net/videos/antigone.avi
>
> Both are 1.8 megs, the AVI is encoded in DivX 6.  M1V is obviously MPEG1.
>
> Banking is working, track ties are transforming correctly now (Except
> that last couple segments), no disappearing objects.
>
> I now precalculate the positions of all the points that make the track
> rails, as well as the locations of the track ties.  For that track, it
> takes about 2 1/2 minutes to calculate that data.  It saves it in an
> include file.  After that, it only takes about 3 seconds to parse.
>
> I'm also no longer using sphere_sweeps, but rather, spheres connected by
> cylinders as suggested by scott on p.b.i.  This dramatically reduced
> rendering times.  When I first started rendering this specific track, it
> took over 2 minutes to render each frame without AA.  When I switched to
> spheres/cylinders, it now takes only 6 seconds even WITH AA.
>
> The only other point to mention is that I haven't implemented any sort
> of friction or wind resistance, hence the reason why the ride is going
> so fast at the end.
>
> (Oh...and about the filename...AntiGone is the name of the track.  I did
> not design the track, but rather I got it off of CoasterSims.com)
>
> One more note...the way I'm calculating banking is completely wrong. The
> transitions are MUCH smoother in No Limits.  I'm just using some basic
> linear interpolation, which will cause problems when I make roller
> coasters with loops because at the bottom of the loop, banking is 0.  At
> the top, its 180.  With the way I'm doing banking, it'll turn into 90
> half way up, which is wrong.  This creates some distortion that can been
> seen at http://www.sohcahtoa.net/images/thriller.png .  Does anyone know
> how I could work around that?
>
> -DJ

I have been following your threads very closely (I am a browser not much
of a poster) and have been waiting for every new arrival.

This is something I have wanted to do myself for a long while and
although knowing the math behind it would not know how to implement it.

I noticed in your animation that some of the track is still missing
(very small criticism) on some of the track that is visible from the
current position.  Dont know if you are aware of this or not.  If you
want the times let me know.  It seems to be on the high points of the track.

Keep up the excellent work on this, I for one am waiting for the next
installment.

Dave.