POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Roller Coaster WIP 4 (MPEG1/DivX links) : Re: Roller Coaster WIP 4 (MPEG1/DivX links) Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:08:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Roller Coaster WIP 4 (MPEG1/DivX links)
From: DJ Wiza
Date: 26 Apr 2006 13:00:51
Message: <444fa743$1@news.povray.org>
Roman Reiner wrote:

> Wow. That's very cool!
> Maybe you could try to link the look_at (or direction) vector of the camera
> to a point further ahead on the track. I guess this would result in a more
> realistic appearence and thus strenghten the observers feeling of being
> part of the action (at the moment it looks more like a camera that is
> attached to the wagon (if this is the right word?)). Maybe it would also
> smooth out those kinks a bit since camera and movement wouldn't jump at the
> same time.
>
> Regards Roman

You're probably right.  Right now, the look_at point is barely in front
of the camera, so it is as if the camera is attached to the car (That's
the word we use, at least in the US).  No Limits does it the same way,
though I think it might be a LITTLE bit farther ahead.

What makes it seems really jerky is the banking.  I'm not doing it right
at all.  In No Limits, the banking transitions are far smoother.  The
thing is, Ole Lange, the author of No Limits, is very secretive about
how he calculates the banking.

-DJ