POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Roller Coaster WIP 2 (MPEG1, DivX link) : Roller Coaster WIP 2 (MPEG1, DivX link) Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:35:20 EDT (-0400)
  Roller Coaster WIP 2 (MPEG1, DivX link)
From: DJ Wiza
Date: 21 Apr 2006 04:02:02
Message: <4448917a@news.povray.org>
(For those that can view DivX 6 files, get it at
http://www.sohcahtoa.net/videos/bezier.avi (506K))

Same test track as last time, but now its an actual track instead of a
bunch of spheres.  Track is generated using 3 sphere_sweeps and many
instances of a mesh of triangles for the track ties.

Unfortunately, due to a bug in my code that I haven't figured out, the
track ties on the first segment are upside down and their geometry
appears to be just totally wrong, and the last segment doesn't even HAVE
track ties, yet I know what is causing it, I'm just not sure the easiest
way to fix it.

My method of finding where to put the track ties is rather brute force.
  I slowly step through each bezier until I've traveled a certain
distance in space, then a track tie is placed.  Repeat until I've
reached the end.  The problem is, if I allow it to use the last segment,
then the way the code is written, it tries to step past the last bezier,
resulting in an index out of bounds error.  A simple act of adding a
couple #ifs could fix some things though.

My next version will most likely be a something that could actually be a
real roller coaster, one of my own favorite designs, Frozen Ray.  A
screenshot of that coaster as seen in No Limits can be seen at
http://www.sohcahtoa.net/images/FrozenRay.png (145K).  My version won't
yet have the wooden supports nor the wooden style track.  Supports will
come later, with the track style even farther out.

-DJ

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'bezier.m1v.mpg' (408 KB)