POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making an animation: AA or no AA? : Re: Making an animation: AA or no AA? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:10:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making an animation: AA or no AA?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 Apr 2006 19:14:07
Message: <4444213f$1@news.povray.org>
DJ Wiza wrote:
> Everyone acknowledges the benefits of AA in a still picture, but what
> about when I'm making an animation and its going to be put into a very
> low bitrate MPEG1?  Is there any benefit at all at still using AA?  Do
> the smoother edges compress better?

As a mater of fact, they do! the math behind this effect that causes the
"better" compression is of course rather complicated. Yet, the simpler
explanation for this "better" compression is that there is less detail in
the picture because high contrast edges simply have a lot of geometry detail
hardly found in real-world images. Yet, real world images are what lossy
compression algorithms such as MPEG and JPEG have been designed for. They
specifically build on the perception of the human eye by eliminating what
the viewer is less likely to "miss".

	Thorsten