POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Displacement via Isosurface : Re: Displacement via Isosurface Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:10:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement via Isosurface
From: Warp
Date: 15 Apr 2006 07:04:05
Message: <4440d324@news.povray.org>
McHannemann <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> so how do I displace then the mesh?

  If you can't subdivide&displace the mesh in the program which created
the mesh, and all you have is a SDL 'mesh' or 'mesh2', then you can't
*directly* do neither thing in POV-Ray.

  You could, however, convert the mesh to the PCM format
(http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/pcm.html) and then use the surface
subdivision suite (http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/nsss.htm)
for subdividing&displacing.

  (Note that the PCM program only supports the mesh format as input.
I have a beta version for windows which supports mesh2, but the macros
have yet not been updated for it.)

> Displacement on Meshes is a very important feature to me,
> so maybe there can be something done about it,
> even the old renderman engines are able to get along with it.

  POV-Ray does not (yet) support on-the-fly subdivision&displacement
of meshes like renderman does, sorry.

--
                                                          - Warp