POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Displacement via Isosurface : Re: Displacement via Isosurface Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:10:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement via Isosurface
From: Warp
Date: 14 Apr 2006 16:51:02
Message: <44400b36@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> >The only way I can think of is to use the object pattern.
> >f/ex.

> That technique comes top of the list in the "Things That Don't Work"
> section in my isosurface tutorial.
> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/dont.htm

  If objects had a proximity function, ie. a function which tells from
a point its closest distance to the surface of the object, it would then
be possible.

  A fast proximity function would indeed be the holy grail of raytracing.
Unfortunately no such thing is known to exist in the generic case (special
cases for certain primitives can naturally be made, but there's no
generic solution which would work with all objects).

  An approximating generic proximity function could be made by using a
sampling algorithm, but this is really slow, especially if the function
is then used in a (perturbed) isosurface.

--
                                                          - Warp