POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.12a available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.12a available. Server Time
2 May 2024 04:36:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.12a available.
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Apr 2006 06:57:46
Message: <4432512a$1@news.povray.org>
>> If you have some insane isosurface object, it's going to take forever
>> to trace it no matter what bounding algorithm you use.
>

> Not necessarily but creating a tight fitting bounding (no matter if
> using BVH or BSP) is difficult for arbitrary isosurfaces.

I once wrote my own system for splitting an isosurface into a grid of
"chunks", so POV-Ray would only sample the function near its surface. I
had constant problems avoiding holes in the surface! :-\

> Concerning which method is 'better' - that quite definitely depends on
> the scene.

Really? I find that supprising. (And one immediately wanders which kinds
of scene each one is "best" at...)

> And note in POV-Ray the BVH method is combined with Vista
> and Light buffers which can speed up things quite a lot in some cases.

Indeed - but it only accelerates camera rays and shadow rays. As soon as
you have any reflection or refraction on your scene (or a weird camera
for that matter) these speedups can't help you.