POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : drawing a grid on playing board : Re: drawing a grid on playing board Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: drawing a grid on playing board
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 1 Apr 2006 16:41:58
Message: <442ef3a6$1@news.povray.org>
> I thought of making rectangles with very very low height, but this seems
> more of a loophole...  is there a way to have have it "drawn" onto the
> board, other than creating a texture somehow and putting that on? (would
> that even work?)

Yes, there are possibilities to do what you want using layered textures. If
your Go-Board is meant to be made of wood, you could create a texture that
looks like wood. Then you create another texture which only has the lines,
the rest is transparent. Through the transparent regions you'll see the
wood-texture that is underneath.

Note that things like reflection and specular highlights are calculated for
the texture no matter if regions are transparent or not. So if you want you
want different finishes and normals for those regions, you'd have to use
patterned textures. This can become quite cumbersome very easily if you want
to do it in pure POV-Ray, but what you could do is create an image with
white representing the wood, and black the lines. Using the image as a
texture-map, you can then tell POV-Ray to use one texture for white and
another for black.

I recommend reading about this in the Docs, I just wanted to give you an
idea where to start. The best learning effort is obtained by doing things
yourself and just getting the pointers where to start. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"