POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd behavior in rendering of scene : Re: Odd behavior in rendering of scene Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd behavior in rendering of scene
From: Alain
Date: 30 Mar 2006 18:02:12
Message: <442c6374$1@news.povray.org>
Ben Scheele nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 30/03/2006 13:47:
> Hey all.
> I recently upgraded my CPU from an Athlon XP 1800+ to 3000+.  Of course
> I wanted to try benchmarking my system using POV-Ray.  I had stats for a
> few old scenes of mine, so I chose one and rendered it in the latest
> version of POV-Ray (3.6.1b).  Nice and fast, went from 1:04 down to
> 0:51.  Then I tried rendering it again, and it took 1:14.  The next
> time, it took 1:25, then 1:34, then 1:41, 1:45.  Then it seemed to hover
> around that value.  When I restart my computer and repeat the process,
> it does a similar sequence.  The rendering time is always nearly the
> same, but the parsing time gradually increases to a saturation point.  I
> at first thought it might be an issue with the CPU, or memory, or their
> operating at different clock frequencies.  That doesn't seem to be the
> main issue, since it behaves in a similar way on our other computer, a
> Dell, too.  I also did lots of diagnostic tests, and everything checks
> out fine.  I think it may be an issue with POV-Ray itself.  Is it not
> freeing up memory?  What's going on in there?  It's a fairly simple
> little scene.  Other scenes where it's mostly rendering and doing little
> parsing are a lot more consistent.  It doesn't seem to have anything to
> do with the random number generation in the scene, because I tried it
> without it, too.  If anyone can offer some suggestions or answers as to
> what is going on, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> ------------------------------
> Ben Scheele
> Silmarillion: Ben's World
> http://www.benscheele.com

Trying it with the current beta. My results using +b2
First render: Parse=26.978, bounding=15.011, trace=7:21
Second render:parse=26.788, bounding=13.859, trace=6:58
On an aging Athlon tbird 1400 and 512 Mb

--
Alain
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.