POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QNAN - Error... : Re: QNAN - Error... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QNAN - Error...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 28 Mar 2006 09:38:18
Message: <44294a5a$1@news.povray.org>
> Generating NaNs should be quite trivial. I can do it like this:
>
>    #debug str(1/0 - 1/0, 0, 3)
>
> It shows up as "nan", not as "#QNAN" here on Mac OS X, but I guess
> that's an implementation detail of my C library.
>
> (For some reason POV-Ray here considers 0/0 as inf, while I'd expect it
> to be nan - and in my own programs, it is.)

Strange enough, when I use
 #declare Val = 1/0;
and write it to disc, I get this in the file:

1e+017

A high number. I seem to remember that POV-Ray stops at division by 0, why
not when I declare it? Must be some parsing-thing or such, probably. Well,
not the slightest closer to getting to the test-subject! :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"