POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QNAN - Error... : Re: QNAN - Error... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QNAN - Error...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 27 Mar 2006 16:28:32
Message: <44285900@news.povray.org>
> In most cases, performing the same computation twice should give
> the same result. Moreover, the equality test isn't a solution: I
> don't remember what the standard says but gcc with the -ffast-math
> option will give nan==1. Now, I know that the -ffast-math option
> breaks the standards (it says so in the docs), but I also know that
> VisualC breaks them too and I don't know whith what options Tim's
> version of POV was compiled...

*sigh*

Hm, what to do, what to do... I'd sure like a solution to the problem. Since
then I've found of course that it seems that every now and then, when you
use vaxis_rotate without an actual axis (<0,0,0> ain't an axis), it returns
something that POV-Ray will write as <1.#QNAN,1.#QNAN,1.#QNAN>. Not all the
time, and even with the same scene, same seed and same settings, it doesn't
reproduce. It's weird thought that I can still do vcross-calculations, check
the length using vlength to ensure the matrix has unit-length vectors and
some other stuff with that "QNAN-Vector", but just when I write the file, I
write something that I can't read...

Regards,
Tim

--