POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : portal pigment? : Re: portal pigment? Server Time
14 May 2024 17:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: portal pigment?
From: Anton Sherwood
Date: 26 Mar 2006 20:36:14
Message: <4427418e$1@news.povray.org>

Karl Anders wrote:
> Nice images ! I just love everything that has even remotely to do
> with polyhedra ... though I fail to see why you would need mirrors
> or "camera_view" for those.

By definition these lattices are infinitely deep, and I prefer to
"cheat" on that fact as little as possible.

Each of those scenes consists of four mirrors (forming 1/48 or 1/24 of
the basic cube) and four or fewer cylinders.  The appearance of depth
comes from the decay caused by repeated reflections in imperfect mirrors
("finish {reflection 0.98}").

I'm more confident in my ability to do it that way than by building a
finite number of copies of the basic cell; and I'm a big fan of concise
code!

If anyone's interested in the technicalities --
The mirrors are the boundaries of the space 0 <= x <= y <= z <= 1,
except that in the "alternated" forms the mirror at x=0 is replaced by
one at x+y=0.  The mirrors form an irregular tetrahedron, and a vertex
of the lattice is placed somewhere within it (or on its boundaries).  A
lattice-edge (cylinder) goes from the vertex to its image in each of the
mirrors, and the vertex is so placed that each nontrivial edge has the
same length.

--
Anton Sherwood, http://www.ogre.nu/
"How'd ya like to climb this high *without* no mountain?" --Porky Pine