POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image quality of thumbnails in Image Digest needs improvement : Re: Image quality of thumbnails in Image Digest needs improvement Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:10:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image quality of thumbnails in Image Digest needs improvement
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Mar 2006 23:22:24
Message: <4420d100$1@news.povray.org>
George Pantazopoulos wrote:
> Dear webmasters,
>
>     Would you please improve the image quality of the thumbnails in the
> Image Digest section of the POV-Ray newsgroups website? I think the
> compression is too strong, and it makes many otherwise good images look bad
> in the thumbnails (and likely to get skipped over by busy readers like
> myself).

The compression settings for the images was chosen as a compromise between
reasonable website download times, available server resources and
compression quality. For very simple images with only a few colors, the
compression quality may not be sufficient indeed, but for high-quality
anti-aliased images, it does provide really reasonable results over a large
range of different images. This is the way JPEG compression as higher
compression settings turns out to be. I am sorry you don't like it, but it
is the way it is.

	Thorsten, POV-Team