POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Potential Bug : Potential Bug Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Potential Bug
From: Bryan Heit
Date: 21 Mar 2006 19:31:14
Message: <44209ad2$1@news.povray.org>
I have been trying to use the "Subset_Start_Frame" and
"Subset_End_Frame" commands in a .ini file to subdivide my animations
such that I can render portions of them on different computers.  During
this process I have identified a potential bug in the implementation of
this command.

What happens is when I use the "Subset_End_Frame" in my .ini file the
value for "Subset_End_Frame", not the value for "Final_Frame", gets
reported when I use the built in variable "final_frame" within the .pov
file.  This does not seem to be how the command should be set up, and
conflicts with the documentation.

I've included some sample code below - if you remove the
"Subset_Start_Frame" and "Subset_End_Frame" from the .ini file the
animation will produce 2 frames with red balls, 2 frames with green
balls, 2 blue, 2 yellow and 2 purple.  If you add in the subset commands
you should get 1 green, 2 blue and 2 yellow (i.e. frames 4-8).  Instead,
you get 1 blue, 2 yellow and 2 purple (i.e. the animation gets
recalculated, using frame 8 as the last frame, not frame 10).  This is
confirmed by the error file which is generated.

I'm using PovRay 3.6, 32-bit.  WinXP, 512meg RAM, Pentium M @1.60GHz.
I've also tried this using the same version of povray, WinXP, 256meg
RAM, Celeron something-or-other with the same result.

Bryan

POV file:
light_source {
   <0,500,-500>
   color rgb <1,1,1>
   }

camera {
   location <0,0,-10>
   look_at <0,0,0>
   angle 30
   }

sphere {
   <0,0,0>, 1
   #if ((frame_number/final_frame) <=1)
     pigment { color rgb <1,0,1> }
   #end
   #if ((frame_number/final_frame) <= 0.8)
     pigment { color rgb <1,1,0> }
   #end
   #if ((frame_number/final_frame) <= 0.6)
     pigment { color rgb <0,0,1> }
   #end
   #if ((frame_number/final_frame) <= 0.4)
     pigment { color rgb <0,1,0> }
   #end
   #if ((frame_number/final_frame) <= 0.2)
     pigment { color rgb <1,0,0> }
   #end
   }

#debug concat("Final Frame  : ",str(final_frame,3,3),"\n")
#debug concat("Initial Frame: ",str(initial_frame,3,3),"\n")
#debug concat("Frame Number : ",str(frame_number,3,3),"\n")

Ini file:
Input_File_Name=ani.pov
Output_File_Name=images\

Initial_Frame=1