POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Camera and horizontal viewing angle : Re: Camera and horizontal viewing angle Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera and horizontal viewing angle
From: Chris B
Date: 21 Mar 2006 12:18:49
Message: <44203579$1@news.povray.org>
"vianagmo" <vaa### [at] unaleduco> wrote in message
>I have something like this:
>
> camera
> {
>  orthographic
>  location <0.0, 0.0, -250*mm>
>  translate <(100*mm)*clock,0.0, 0.0>
>  look_at <(100*mm)*clock, 0.0, 0.0>
> }
>

> I don't want to change the size of my objects (they have 780 X 780 px) in
> the rendering but I need a big extension in the horizontal view, so they
> never disappear  from the screen as the camera translates and preserve
> their sizes. I thought that with the keyword "angle" I would solve this,
> but the object appears much bigger or much smaller when I change this
> item,
> so I don't know if there is a way to do what I want in POVRAY.

Hi,

Still not exactly clear, but here's my guess. If you just want to get a
wider rendered image without altering the size of the objects, you can set
the aspect ratio of the orthographic camera based upon the image_width and
image_height settings.

The following example sets the 'up' and 'right' vectors to do just that and
can be rendered with different image widths (the width can be set as a
command line option). The spheres should stay a constant size so long as the
setting for the image height remains the same . If you change the image
height then the size of the spheres will increase in proportion to the
height. You can multiply the 'up' and 'right' vectors by a factor to adjust
the object size at all if you need to.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Chris B.

// Example command line options:    +H240 +W640  or  +H240 +W320  or  +H240
+W5000

#local mm = 1;

camera
{
  orthographic
  location <0.0, 0.0, -250*mm>
  translate <(100*mm)*clock,0.0, 0.0>
  look_at <(100*mm)*clock, 0.0, 0.0>
  up    y
  right x * image_width/image_height
}

light_source { <-5,30,-10> 1 }
sphere {-x,0.5 pigment {color rgb <1,1,0>}}
sphere { 0,0.5 pigment {color rgb <1,1,0>}}
sphere { x,0.5 pigment {color rgb <1,1,0>}}