POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Subset Animation Not Working : Re: Subset Animation Not Working Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:38:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subset Animation Not Working
From: Chris B
Date: 21 Mar 2006 10:34:26
Message: <44201d02@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mca### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Bryan Heit <bjh### [at] NOSPAMucalgaryca> wrote:
>> Chris B wrote:
>> > I think you're right. 'final_frame' does seem to come up with the last
>> > frame
>> > of the subset being rendered rather than the value set using the
>> > Final_Frame
>> > option setting (Which seems to conflict with the POV-Ray
>> > documentation).
>>

>> I've ran a few tests and this is exactly the problem.  When you declare
>> a "Subset_End_Frame" povray will return that value when you call
>> "final_frame" in a .pov file.
>>
>> Bryan
>
> You have lost me on this. Are you declaring your own "Subset_End_Frame"?
> There is a command used in the ini file that is called this. The same as
> +EFn in the command line.  If you try to send the value to #debug then you
> get an undeclared identifier, error.
>
> Stephen

I think he means that when you set the Subset_End_Frame in the ini file that
the value you set it to is displayed in the message stream when you use the
debug command in POV-Ray to display the final_frame preset variable. The
same happens when you use the command line option +EFn to set the subset end
frame.

The documentation says that the final_frame variable available at run-time
in the SDL will contain the value set using Final_Frame, but from my tests
this doesn't seem to be the case if a subset end frame is defined.

I rendered the following two frames and got the following results from the
debug commands:

// Command line options  +kfi0 +kff10 +sf5 +ef6

camera { location <0,2,-2> look_at 0 }
light_source { <-5,30,-10> 1 }

#debug concat("Final Frame  : ",str(final_frame,3,3),"\n")
#debug concat("Initial Frame: ",str(initial_frame,3,3),"\n")
#debug concat("Frame Number : ",str(frame_number,3,3),"\n")

// Rendering frame 5 of 6
//
// Final Frame  : 6.000
// Initial Frame: 5.000
// Frame Number : 5.000

// Rendering frame 6 of 6
//
// Final Frame  : 6.000
// Initial Frame: 5.000
// Frame Number : 6.000

Not what I would have expected from the documentation.

Regards,
Chris B.