POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3 Gb memory limit? : Re: 3 Gb memory limit? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3 Gb memory limit?
From: Warp
Date: 19 Mar 2006 22:08:29
Message: <441e1cac@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin <taustin> wrote:
> It looks like you know what you are doing, but here are some things I
> have run across regarding memory - based on 32 bit systems.

> A single application (thread) is limited to using 2GB or 3GB depending
> on your OS and settings within the OS.

  Don't base your answer on 32-bit systems since he is using a 64-bit one.

  A friend of mine has an amd64 and he tried how much memory he can
allocate in linux. In linux you can actually allocate more memory than
is physically available (even when counting swap space). It's only when
you try to *use* more memory than what is physically available when it is
not possible.
  I don't remember exactly how much he could allocate, but it was less
than 2^64. However, it was way over 2^32. It might have been something
like 2^48 or whatever. I don't know why there's such a limit, but I assume
that his motherboard limits the address space of the system to that
(it's not unusual for motherboards of new processors to not to support
everything the processor could).

  I don't know why he cannot use more than 3GB in his system, though.

--
                                                          - Warp