POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Fade to white? : Fade to white? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Fade to white?
From: Joost de Greef
Date: 19 Mar 2006 07:57:54
Message: <441d5552@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I'm new to POVRAY, and running into small problems. I would like to draw
some balls on a white background, and have some kind of depth-queueing.
So basically, I would like to have the ball closest to the camera in full
color, while the ones further away fade to white. At best I seem to manage
to fade everything to grey, background including.
  Could someone please shed some Light on the issue for me? I've searched
the net on various terms I could come up with, but being am absolute
beginner, my POVRAY-vocabulary is rather limited...

Thank you very much for your time!
Joost de Greef.
---- my futile attempts ----
#include "colors.inc"

background { White }

global_settings
{ max_trace_level 100 ambient_light rgb<1, 1, 1> }

light_source
{ <-100,4*100,100> color White shadowless }

/* makes the background black
fog
{
  fog_type 2
  fog_offset 0.0
  fog_alt 0.0
  up <1,0,0>
  distance 1
  color rgbt<1,1,1,0.9>
  rotate <0,0,90>
}
*/

/* makes the background grey.
plane
{
  y, 1
  texture
  {
    pigment
    {
      color rgbft <1,1,1,0.1,0.1>
    }
  }
  hollow interior {fade_power 2.0 fade_distance 3}
}
*/

camera
{ orthographic location <0, 2, 0> look_at <0, 0, 0>
  right image_width/image_height*x*3 up y*3 }

object
{ union {
    sphere { <-1,-1, 0>, 1 pigment { color Blue } }
    sphere { < 0, 0, 0>, 1 pigment { color Blue } }
    sphere { < 1, 1, 0>, 1 pigment { color Blue } } } }