POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling Eclipses with POVRay : Re: used it for March 14-15 penumbral eclipse render Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: used it for March 14-15 penumbral eclipse render
From: Chambers
Date: 15 Mar 2006 16:58:29
Message: <44188e05$1@news.povray.org>
pavium wrote:
> It looks like I'll have to invest in some hardware which will run POVRay
> once more. I have actually tried running POVRay on a 75MHz Pentium under
> OpenBSD with no graphics capability. It actually generated 25x80 ASCII text
> images onscreen while saving GIF files to disk. It was fascinating to watch
> but only marginally faster than watching grass grow.

Oh come on, I originally ran POV on a 486 with NO math coprocessor!
Think of that - all that double precision math being emulated by the
integer units!  IIRC, it would draw an RSOCP at ~20-30 pps.  Imagine how
excited I was when I got my first 486 DX, and saw POV running at speeds
of 100pps or more! :)

...Chambers