POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : making thick non-transparent portion of image map : Re: making thick non-transparent portion of image map Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: making thick non-transparent portion of image map
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Mar 2006 22:58:39
Message: <441790ef$1@news.povray.org>
"Bob Armstrong" <bob### [at] cosycom> wrote in message
>I have a bit map image , http://www.cosy.com/cosycube.gif , where I've made
> the background transparent ,
>
>  #declare CCube = object { box { < 0, 0 , -.2 > , < 1 , 1 , .2 >
>                             pigment { image_map { png "CoSyCubeFULL.png"
>                                                   transmit 2 , 1.0 } }  }
>
> but it appears the figure is projected only on the front and back of
> planes
> of the box . How do I make it solid thru the thickness of the box which is
> what I expected by default ?

You've encountered a common misconception. Objects in POV are not solid,
merely surfaces, until acted upon by other objects not just textures.

A possible solution could be to use height_field for the box-like object
after creating a second image especially for that, and apply the image_map
pigment onto it.
Should be fairly easy in your case since that cosycube.gif is already of the
right form. You'll just need to do an inverse of the colors if you need the
black part to exist instead of the white part (white is high point, black
low). The black portion can then be set to not show up at all by using (in
the height_field) keyword water_level followed by a value greater than 0 but
less than 1 (as long as the white is fully white).
Oh, and scale things accordingly, of course, to match the image file's
aspect ratio or resolution. Again, yours appears to be square already to not
a problem. Would only need a certain depth scale. Just be sure to apply the
image_map (if you even need one for this) with a rotate 90*x so it lays
horizontally onto the HF.

Hope that helps.

--
Bob H  www.3digitaleyes.com