POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling Eclipses with POVRay : Re: used it for March 14-15 penumbral eclipse render Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: used it for March 14-15 penumbral eclipse render
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Mar 2006 09:33:17
Message: <4416d42d$1@news.povray.org>
"pavium" <jrc### [at] tpgcomau> wrote in message

> a penumbral eclipse of the moon might pass unnoticed
> I can see a little bit of shadow on the lower edge of the Moon.

Yep. This one tonight, for the eastern US where I live, isn't going to look
like much. Should just be dimmed on the righthand side judging by this
eclipse.pov rendering. I see Australia is opposite the Moon at the time it
happens, unlucky for you maybe, but you won't be missing this I'm sure.

> And of course for a lunar eclipse it should be opposite what I said
> before.
> The Earth should be between the Sun and Moon, but if you raised the camera
> out of the ecliptic you can see both with the Moon in the distance.

Adding a second satellite (along with the few necessary parameters) seems to
work okay, making it look past the Earth. But for now it's just there for
today's date so I'm sure it would need merging into the other calculating
somehow.

> You could try commenting out sun2 and the tiny moon (if you haven't
> already
> done so) as they only help in solar eclipses. Removing sun2 will make the
> shadow on the Moon a bit darker.

Yeah, since that rendering I did comment out the secondary tiny moon, mainly
because I wasn't sure how it fit into the scene and didn't want to bother
figuring it out while I was having that peculiar lighting of the Earth.
Found out I was probably using incompatible image maps so I removed the
clouds altogether and put in a somewhat large jpeg of the Earth instead.
After that I changed sun2 into a spotlight pointing at the Earth and reduced
its brightness considerably so it wouldn't illuminate the Moon. That helped
darken the shadow.

Most interesting to me is that stuff about locating a place along the
alignments, so unless I give up trying to understand it I *might* learn
something.