POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling Eclipses with POVRay : Re: used it for March 14-15 penumbral eclipse render Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: used it for March 14-15 penumbral eclipse render
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Mar 2006 03:34:46
Message: <44168026@news.povray.org>
"pavium" <jrc### [at] tpgcomau> wrote in message

> I'd be careful about changing the size of the sun, moon and earth

I'm guessing you never meant for this to be about lunar eclipses, only solar
eclipses.

> I looked at your picture ... if you chose SUN as the viewpoint then
> (during
> the eclipse) the moon should be in front of the earth.

 Hmmm, well, it wasn't.  :)

> I think I wrote somewhere in the code that a light source can't see the
> shadows it makes.

Since I've raised the camera up out of the ecliptic it would have to see the
shadow cast onto the moon from the earth... but if you meant shadowless,
yeah the looks_like Sun object precludes any self-made shadows. And if that
isn't what you're saying then I'm lost.

> I haven't tried running the code through POVRay in a while. I used rev 3.5
> Does it still work with the latest revision?

At first I thought it looked okay in 3.6.1b using the original date and time
you had for the 1999 eclipse, but it seems like the second sun and moon you
put in there don't belong. I can't really say what is happening, I jumped
into changing things before I bothered to check on it. The area_light I
added for the sunlight really changes the shadow a lot, too. I have that at
the SUNRAD (radius) at the moment and it looks good, along with the moon
being scale 1 not 2.

Something especially confusing me is how the day and night sides of the
earth don't seem to correspond to the sun (when I changed to this upcoming
lunar eclipse), which is rather strange considering the earth's shadow still
shows up on the moon as expected. I'm sure I'd keep discovering new things
if I kept reading through the script. The math itself I dare not touch!

Bob