POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange behaviour on cubic_spline : Re: Strange behaviour on cubic_spline Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange behaviour on cubic_spline
From: Chris B
Date: 13 Mar 2006 18:08:02
Message: <4415fb52$1@news.povray.org>
"Manuel Mata" <man### [at] yahooes> wrote in message
>  ... snip ... I try to make a closed spline with straight stretchs, so I
> make 4 splines to build it, 2 linear_splines and 2 cubic_splines. The
> points should be tangent but they aren't. If you see the 2 cubic_splines
> definition they only define a stretch and have 2 control points who should
> define the tangents at the points.

>  ... snip ...

Ahh. I think I see what you are getting at and I need to correct an error in
my earlier post where I agreed that the first and last points defined for a
cubic spline form tangents to the start and end of  the curve. As you
observe through your SDL they don't.  The first and last points in the cubic
spline are just control points and I believe they are treated in the same
way as the other cubic spline control points.

WRT your question as to whether this is different between POV-Ray 3.6 and
earlier versions, I don't think it is different. Certainly the cubic_spline
examples in the 3.6 help and the 3.5 help look to me to be identical and
both show what you seem to be showing in your SDL with the first point being
the same as the third from last point and the last point being the same as
the third point. In the 3.6 help, this example is in section 2.3.1.3.1
"Teaching An Old Spline New Tricks". In the 3.5 help it's the same section
title, but the section number is 3.4.3.1.

Regards,
Chris B.