POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling Eclipses with POVRay : used it for March 14-15 penumbral eclipse render Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  used it for March 14-15 penumbral eclipse render
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 13 Mar 2006 18:02:12
Message: <4415f9f4$1@news.povray.org>
Without too much trouble at all I got a rendering made of the eclipse about
to occur tomorrow night. Just a temporary (however long it exists there)
upload to my web site since this isn't anything but a test.

http://www.3digitaleyes.com/povray/eclipse.jpg

Since I already had image maps of the earth, clouds, moon here I didn't need
to go looking for any.

Here's all I did to get the view seen in the picture:

Added 'area_light <1e6,0,0>,<0,1e6,0>, 9,9 jitter' to the Sun light_source
(yes, that's 1 by 1 million).

Removed the scale 2 for the Moon since this needed the proper size to work
okay, raised diffuse finish considerably to get more brightening for shadow
contrast.

Put +y*15000 onto the end of the camera location vector and +y*5000 onto the
end of the look_at vector.

Changed the date, time.

Of course, I don't think this is completely accurate because I just tried
numbers for the area light without checking on scales and distances of
everything. Only a quick try at getting an eclipse that had the right look.
All I really wanted to find out is if the date could change and still show
correct eclipses, so I think this proves that much.

Hey John, thanks a whole lot for sharing your pov file!

--
Bob H  www.3digitaleyes.com
http://3digitaleyes.com/imagery/