POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling Eclipses with POVRay : Re: Modelling Eclipses with POVRay Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modelling Eclipses with POVRay
From: Christian Walther
Date: 13 Mar 2006 04:13:37
Message: <441537c1$1@news.povray.org>
Larry Hudson wrote:
> pavium wrote:
>> ... I switched to modelling Solar Eclipses with POVRay.
>
> In looking at your website, specifically about the size problem, I was
> reminded of something I read about many years ago.  Now my memory is
> quite imperfect, and this was probably about 40 years ago, so I only
> remember the generalities and not too many details.  It was a
> description of a nature trail somewhere in Europe (I think it was in
> Switzerland), which had a scale model of the solar system along it.
> There was a 6 foot (or probably 2 meter) sphere at the trailhead which
> represented the sun, and at the proper proportional distances along the
> trail were properly scaled models of the planets.  I thought this was
> such a fascinating idea that I've always remembered it.  I think the
> article I read was probably in Astronomy Magazine, or perhaps Scientific
> American -- definitely a magzine of that sort, but I've never seen it
> described anywhere else.  And of course, I have no idea whether or not
> this trail/model still exists.  Anybody else know about it?

I think there are several of those trails in Switzerland, and I'd expect
many more to exist around the world. One I know is on the Uetliberg in
Zurich: <http://www.uetlibergverein.ch/planet/index_planet.htm>,
<http://fiete.ch/Medien/Galerie/11300/113091.html>,
<http://map.search.ch/uetliberg>. It's at 1:1e9 scale, so the sun is 1.4
m in diameter.