POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling Eclipses with POVRay : Re: Modelling Eclipses with POVRay Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modelling Eclipses with POVRay
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 13 Mar 2006 03:59:41
Message: <4415347d$1@news.povray.org>
"Larry Hudson" <org### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> pavium wrote:
>> ... I switched to modelling Solar Eclipses with POVRay.
>>
>> http://www.pavium.info/Eclipse/
>>

> There was a 6 foot (or probably 2 meter) sphere at the trailhead which
> represented the sun, and at the proper proportional distances along the
> trail were properly scaled models of the planets.  I thought this was such
> a fascinating idea that I've always remembered it.
> I have no idea whether or not this trail/model still exists.  Anybody else
> know about it?

I sure don't know of that one, yet I've heard of such things elsewhere. I
actually tried a model of the solar system out on my lawn once, had a flat
grassy yard where I lived before, so I placed a bunch of PVC pipes in the
ground forming the concentric circles then put pipes with 'blindspot'
mirrors on the tops (to reflect sunlight) into position to mark where each
planet was at the time. No correct scale to the distances, though, or else
I'd never have enough lawn. Also, the gas giant planets, aside from Juptier,
were basically in the same places every day. Ha ha! And I only did that for
a couple years. The pulling up and replacing them for each lawn mowing
wasn't very practical either.  ;)

Back to the eclipse POV scene stuff... Not sure if I'll see the next one
here or not but will be looking for the penumbral lunar eclipse Tuesday
morning. Downloaded the file and will see how it does for that one. [editing
back up to here] {Tried it and I think I'm seeing a shadow on the Earth for
that partial eclipse, would take me longer to know positively.}

Good writing there on the web site about all that, and the eclipse.pov sure
is a typical math maze of astro-calc! There are definitely some people out
there using POV with associations to astronomy. Paul Bourke comes to mind.
--
Bob H  www.3digitaleyes.com
http://3digitaleyes.com/imagery/