POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling Eclipses with POVRay : Re: Modelling Eclipses with POVRay Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modelling Eclipses with POVRay
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 11 Mar 2006 20:38:00
Message: <44137b78@news.povray.org>
pavium wrote:
> ... I switched to modelling Solar Eclipses with POVRay.
> Anyway, I've only recently put all this onto a live website. You can see it
> at:
>
> http://www.pavium.info/Eclipse/

(This reply is definitely OT, but...)

In looking at your website, specifically about the size problem, I was
reminded of something I read about many years ago.  Now my memory is
quite imperfect, and this was probably about 40 years ago, so I only
remember the generalities and not too many details.  It was a
description of a nature trail somewhere in Europe (I think it was in
Switzerland), which had a scale model of the solar system along it.
There was a 6 foot (or probably 2 meter) sphere at the trailhead which
represented the sun, and at the proper proportional distances along the
trail were properly scaled models of the planets.  I thought this was
such a fascinating idea that I've always remembered it.  I think the
article I read was probably in Astronomy Magazine, or perhaps Scientific
American -- definitely a magzine of that sort, but I've never seen it
described anywhere else.  And of course, I have no idea whether or not
this trail/model still exists.  Anybody else know about it?

      -=- Larry -=-