POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Unwanted effects in sphere_sweep : Re: Unwanted effects in sphere_sweep Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unwanted effects in sphere_sweep
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 8 Mar 2006 23:10:04
Message: <440faa9c$1@news.povray.org>
Apparently the small size has something to do with it. I can see why Bruno
probably didn't see anything wrong, I rendered it and got a mostly okay line
except for a perpendicular dashed line intersecting it a little to the left
of center.

I don't get many renderings made lately but I do have a recent scene file
using a sphere_sweep to outline some property shown against aerial photos
and I was starting with a scale of 1870 by 1750 pixels for the entire area
but the property itself is only a fraction of that size. The sphere sweep
broke into pieces when decimal numbers, similar to yours there, are used and
I had to scale the whole thing upward to remove the breaks. Likewise,
setting a tolerence wasn't helping it.

It might not seem reasonable for the sphere_sweep to be rendered incorrectly
at a not-so-extremely small 0.027 radius compared to some other common
objects but it wasn't too many POV versions ago that a sphere {<0,0,0>,
0.02} had potential problems being rendered. I think the sphere_sweep might
still be suffering a little from something like that, so the solution for
you is probably going to be an increase of the scene scale. Looks to me like
maybe a 0.1 radius could be okay, possibly just 0.08 (closest to where I
couldn't see a problem while zoomed in on a defective part), or about three
times, or more, that current radius.

If I'm wrong about this, anyone, please go ahead and debate my answer but
that's what I found after some rescaling.  ;)

--
Bob H  www.3digitaleyes.com
http://3digitaleyes.com/imagery/