POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Texture Coords : Re: Texture Coords Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture Coords
From: Chris B
Date: 7 Mar 2006 11:00:15
Message: <440dae0f@news.povray.org>
"Roman Reiner" <lim### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> "Bo" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am new to povray and trying to import an .iv file to povray. Here I
>> encountered a problem with the texture coords. Simply said: they get
>> lost.
>> I googled around and found a page saying that povray does not support
>> texture-coords yet. Is this claim correct, and if it is, is that going to
>> change in the near future?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Bo
>>
>> ps: english is not my native language, so my excuses for bad grammer.
>
> Well, i've never heard of *.iv files and google couldn't help me with that
> in a rush. In addition i don't know how you "imported" them to POVRay
> whereas the texture coordinates get lost (how can POVRay import files?).
> Maybe this is a typo and you meant *.uv files (but i never heard of those
> either) but from what you wrote i guess you mean uv mapping as it is
> called
> in POVRay and that is supported very well! Maybe you want to look up
> "2.5.7 UV Mapping" in the docs.
>
> Hope that helpes
> Regards Roman
>
> ps: english isn't my native language either and i'm not the only one in
> this
> forum. i was told there's no need to apologize for poor grammar :D

Hi Bo,

I also did a google search and eventually came up with .iv files being the
format used by Inventor, which has since been superceded by OpenInventor
(which uses the same format). I've seen some references that imply that this
is related to 3D Scanning technology?

I would guess that by 'Import' you mean you've converted some .iv files into
a format that POV-Ray can use. The web site at
http://www.csit.fsu.edu/~burkardt/data/iv/iv.html describes a number of
converters. What converter have you used and what is the format of the
output you ended up with (e.g. mesh, mesh2)?

I found a definition of Inventor texture coordinate mapping at
http://vsvr.medien.fh-duesseldorf.de/~herder/tech/OpenInventor/Workshop/Texture/texture-edit.html,

but this seems to describe a few alternative mechanisms for mapping textures
to surfaces and I'm not sure which method you are interested in emulating in
POV-Ray. From quickly looking through the examples on that web page it
doesn't seem to be doing anything much that POV-Ray can't do. It just seems
to be scaling, translating and rotating image maps.

POV-Ray can scale, translate, rotate and warp image maps as well as
providing alternative map types such as spherical and cylindrical,

Are you able to describe more fully what it is you're having difficulty
doing?

Regards,
Chris B.