POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Variable IOR - has the time come? : Re: Variable IOR - has the time come? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Variable IOR - has the time come?
From: Alain
Date: 28 Feb 2006 17:42:36
Message: <4404d1dc@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 27/02/2006 01:09:
> Patrick Elliott <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>>But, is it actually slower than for a regular line? I mean, sure, the
>>calculation may require a few more math steps, but intersections still
>>require the same sort of testing, even for a straight line right? Maybe I
>>am wrong.
>

>   You have to test a straight line against the scene once. A spline would
> have to be tested hundreds or thousands of times.

You'd need some spacing for the tests. To small and it takes for ever. To large and
you can go right
trough several objects. Then, it a test get inside an object, take a new point between
the last and
next to last, test again until you reach a sufficient confidence value.
It will take very long if you only have simple primitives, and now the fun beggin when
you add
torus, superellipsoids, sphere_sweeps and the nightmare is on you as soon as you add
some
isosurfaces. And you *think* that radiosity with photons, scathering media,
reflections and
transparcy, togheter with many area_lights, and area_light photons make for long
render time? Does
anybody have a cluster of 100GHz computers at hand?

--
Alain
REMEMBER: WHATEVER HAPPENS, HAPPENS FOR A REASON.