POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wouldn't it be nice: patterns and finish items : Re: Wouldn't it be nice: patterns and finish items Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wouldn't it be nice: patterns and finish items
From: John VanSickle
Date: 28 Feb 2006 17:26:13
Message: <4404ce05$1@news.povray.org>
Roman Reiner wrote:

> Hello altogether!
>
> I was wondering if it could be possible in any future version to use
> functions and patterns in the finish block. If so there would be much more
> flexibility in creating stunning material appearances. Other than that
> already supported image- and bump maps one could then in particular make
> use of ambient-, specular- and diffuse maps that come along with many
> texture packs and add a lot to the quality of the appearance of an surface.
>
> There is already the possibility to work around that by layering two
> textures with appropriate (e.g.) reflection values on top of each other
> where the upper one uses the appropriate map as an alpha channel. But this
> gets ugly when several maps are being used and slows down the render and
> parsing time.
>
> What do you think?

While normals and pigments can be represented with a short vector
(pigments have 5 values, normals have three), finish statements involve
a larger number of data (ambient, diffuse, phong (and its associated
specs), specular (with roughness), brightness, metallic, etc).  That
shouldn't be a show-stopper from a programming viewpoint.

Maybe this is planned for V4,maybe not.

Of course, if you download the latest sources and code up a working
version, I'm sure the development team will at least read it.

Regards,
John