POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray : Re: Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 28 Feb 2006 10:53:20
Message: <440471ef@news.povray.org>
Warp spake:

> Stefan Viljoen <spamnot@ <removethis>polard.com> wrote:
>> I don't know. Warp will probably be able to correct me here, but I'm
>> guessing that you'll need a "SMP capable" operating system as well. As
>> far as I'm aware you'll need an SMP version of XP / Vista in order to get
>> SMP capabilities in the POV 3.7 running on that system. Same with Linux -
>> you'll need to run an SMP kernel to be able to run POV 3.7 in SMP mode.
>
>   If you don't know, then don't spread dubious information, please.

Yikes! No offence - next time I'll just shut up then, instead of given ANY
information. I did mean to spread dubious information - what's dubious
about saying "I guess you'll need an SMP capable operating system?" Please?

Really, if you don't volunteer something, until you're "sure" what the
heck's the point of discussion? Nobody would ever say a word about...
anything..!

>   There's no "SMP version of XP". All XPs are capable of using multiple
> processors.

So I stand corrected. I did say "I don't know". You have corrected me - so
what?

>> IMHO this factor (i. e. the underlying operating system) will need to be
>> considered when wanting to use the SMP facilities available in 3.7...
>
>> This of course does not limit the utility or "coolness" value of having
>> "auto-SMP" in POV v3.7...
>
>   It wouldn't make much sense to run an OS which does not support
> multiple processors in a system with multiple processors. I don't
> think there's even anything "to be considered" here.

Again, you seem VERY touchy about my why of phrasing things. If I offend
you, I apologise. What I was referring to is the fact that (maybe due to me
simply being stupid / inexperienced / inadquate) I cannot get the binary
Nvidia driver to work in my SMP kernel - which means I must "consider" (as
may any other user in the same situation) WHICH kernel to run when
raytracing, and factor this into my workflow etc.

And did the original poster not say that he now has a better idea of what is
going on?

Nobody knows absolutely EVERYTHING all the time, except you, it seems, and
you seem to have a problem with people who are not already at your very
high levels of experience and omnipotence as regards raytracing and
computers in general.

Really - this is an open forum. No need to snipe.

Regards,
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer