POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray : Re: Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer Specifications for use with POV-Ray
From: Warp
Date: 28 Feb 2006 01:33:22
Message: <4403eeb1@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen <spamnot@ <removethis>polard.com> wrote:
> I don't know. Warp will probably be able to correct me here, but I'm
> guessing that you'll need a "SMP capable" operating system as well. As far
> as I'm aware you'll need an SMP version of XP / Vista in order to get SMP
> capabilities in the POV 3.7 running on that system. Same with Linux -
> you'll need to run an SMP kernel to be able to run POV 3.7 in SMP mode.

  If you don't know, then don't spread dubious information, please.

  There's no "SMP version of XP". All XPs are capable of using multiple
processors.

  As for linux, most distros will automatically use multiple processors
when you install linux.

  There isn't a separate "SMP mode" in pov3.7. It just detects how many
processors you have (either physical or virtual) and runs twice as many
threads. In a way you could say that it's "always" in "SMP mode"; it just
selects the number of threads according to the number of processors
(if I'm not mistaken, always at least two threads unless specifically
one is specified).

> IMHO this factor (i. e. the underlying operating system) will need to be
> considered when wanting to use the SMP facilities available in 3.7...

> This of course does not limit the utility or "coolness" value of having
> "auto-SMP" in POV v3.7...

  It wouldn't make much sense to run an OS which does not support
multiple processors in a system with multiple processors. I don't
think there's even anything "to be considered" here.

--
                                                          - Warp