POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Variable IOR - has the time come? : Re: Variable IOR - has the time come? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Variable IOR - has the time come?
From: Chambers
Date: 27 Feb 2006 14:39:43
Message: <4403557f@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Radiosity requires lots of sampling, but the results can be spectacular.
> Media also requires lots of sampling, but the results can also be quite
> spectacular. Variable IOR would probably require even more sampling, yet
> I highly doubt the end result will look any spectacular.

This is probably the best argument against it I've heard.  I'm sure
someone will eventually write a patch to do it, and we'll see at that
point whether your argument is justified.

Personally, I think that if used well, it could aid in realism the same
way that radiosity, focal blur, et al can - that is, when the viewer
doesn't realize that the effect is there, that's when it has the
greatest benefit.

...Chambers