POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : asymmetric viewing frustum in pov-ray? stereo images? possible? : Re: asymmetric viewing frustum in pov-ray? stereo images? possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: asymmetric viewing frustum in pov-ray? stereo images? possible?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 Feb 2006 18:31:18
Message: <43fcf446$1@news.povray.org>
djzielin wrote:
> thanks for the help. you can do 'toe in' stereo with two regular camera as
> several posts have alluded to, but would leave parallax effects and not
> technically be correct stereo. Here is a link describing toe in vs
> asymmetric stereo.
> http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/opengl/stereogl/
>
> I'll probably go with the suggestion of using a larger picture than
> necessary (with a normal camera at the center) and then trimming down (or
> just requesting that pov render a subset). I've found another page that
> concurs...
> http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/stereographics/vpac/povray.html
>
> It'd probably be nice to have as a feature another camera type called
> "asymmetric", but since it can be faked with the 'rendering larger than you
> need' technique, its not necessary.

Someone already answered that in this thread it seems: You have to set the
three camera vectors "up", "right" and "direction" accordingly. The camera
you want, "direction" is not perprendicular to the "up" and "right" vectors,
and then you have exactly what you are looking for, and which does what
cutting away part of the picture would do, too.

Looking at Paul Bourke 's page, I am not sure why he would not use this
method, because for the perspective camera this will yield the same result.
however, I am not sure if it is indeed trivial to compute the correct
"direction" vector.

	Thorsten