POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clothing of Daz-created people objects : Re: Clothing of Daz-created people objects Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clothing of Daz-created people objects
From: Chris B
Date: 20 Feb 2006 08:23:12
Message: <43f9c2c0$1@news.povray.org>
"Kjetil" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.43f9a74f648656f3ccb4f150@news.povray.org...
> Hi there.
>
> I've got an image I've been working on for a while, and I've recently
> experimented with adding people created in Daz to the scene. My problem is
> that they are naked - which kind of detracts from the overall 'feel' of
> the
> image :)
>
> I know that it is possible to add on standard clothing objects from Daz;
> shorts, shirts, skirts, trousers... but none of these are fit for purpose,
> as my people are supposed to be stone-age cave men.
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to give them an appropriate attire...
> perhaps using a 'furry' texture, dressing them in lots of carefully
> positioned height_fields or similar, but I haven't found a solution I am
> happy with.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> K.

Hi,

I use macros that take a start point and an end point inside an object (e.g.
a section of a leg), and do a circular sweep using the trace function
centred on points along that line to build a 2D array of points on the
surface. The macros also accept a start and an end vector so that the
orientation of the sweep can be transitioned as the centre moves along the
line (useful when you need to turn the corner at the knee). The macros can
optionaly add either a fixed amount of offset to lift an item of clothing
clear from the surface, or a pigment definition to give a fluctuating offset
(e.g. wrinkles).

I suspect that when you generate your figures from Daz that it creates one
or more mesh objects, so I think these macros should work OK with such
objects.

I then have macros to create a mesh to represent the surface based on the
points in the array.

There are also macros to add seams to clothing and other stuff, plus a
couple to grow hair out from a point on a surface that may be useful to you.
The hair generating macro just positions sections of a torus randomly around
a surface, controlling the orientation based on the position of the hair's
root. I usually use it on the heads of my characters, but it should work
with other objects.

The macros are included in a post that I put up on
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C43bb0b2b%40news.povray.org%3E/

with HTML documentation of the macros in the follow-up post. The main macro
for this is the ppLimbScan macro. Feel free if you want to use the macros or
just pick up ideas from them if you prefer to write your own. The file
'ppshorts1.inc' provides an example of using these macros for generating
sections of clothing around the legs and hips and stitching them together.

Regards,
Chris B.