POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : volcano WIP5 : Re: volcano WIP5 Server Time
19 May 2024 01:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: volcano WIP5
From: Slime
Date: 16 Feb 2006 22:53:54
Message: <43f548d2$1@news.povray.org>
> The problem seems to simply be I have 2 different media-containers that
> happen to overlap, it seems pov carves a hole out of one of them where it
> finds the other.

The problem, I believe, is that your sampling parameters aren't high enough.
POV-Ray isn't taking enough samples of the media, so you're getting
incorrect results. When there's only one container, the result looks good
enough that you don't have to worry about it - but when a ray passes through
two containers, the places the samples are taken change, so you get a
*different* incorrect result.

As you improve your sampling parameters ("samples n" where n is high (start
at 10 or so and work your way up)), the effect should diminish, but the
render will also get slower.

If you can put both medias into one container, you can eliminate the problem
that way - but you'll be sampling both medias everywhere, which will hurt
performance.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]