POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : volcano WIP5 : Re: volcano WIP5 Server Time
6 May 2024 01:27:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: volcano WIP5
From: DLM
Date: 15 Feb 2006 12:34:17
Message: <43f36619$1@news.povray.org>
Still amazing.
caution: critical comments follow.

Lets see. Scale. The volcano is about 300px tall or 1000m per a previous
post or about 3m per pixel at the summit.
There's ultra-mega-coarse grain lava up there. You might find that with an
old inactive and eroded volcano I suppose, and this is not that. Also all
the smoke and dust must dull the snow off some?

And your slopes are still way too steep to be realistic (about 120+ degrees
at summit).
Check http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/kilauea/erupt/2553022_L.jpg
for a dose of realism with a new volcano 250m above the plain.
The photo gallery of the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory is replete with all
sorts of well annotated pictures including hi-res.
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/

The alternative is Disney :(

DLM