POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : volcano WIP5 : volcano WIP5 Server Time
5 May 2024 18:47:19 EDT (-0400)
  volcano WIP5
From: Tek
Date: 15 Feb 2006 03:23:04
Message: <43f2e4e8@news.povray.org>
It's been a while since my last post, I was waiting until I got a render
with no errors in it, but that doesn't look likely any time soon. So here we
have the current stage of development.

Some big changes:
-A totally different volcano shape, with a much more violent feel to it. I
like it but think maybe I went too far...
-The flying lava doesn't travel so far now, based on reference photos,
though in this shot it's become too subtle so I'll crank it up some more.
-Lava rivers turned off -temporarily-! I was "improving" the algorithm, so
currently it's totally broken.
-Heat haze underwater, looks a bit strange so I might get rid of it. But
maybe when I put bubbles of steam in there it might all come together.
-Mountains! Finally the white cones in the background look like something
real

And finally, the biggest change: All kindsa funky Megapov post-processing
lens filters! Now before anyone criticises me for doing post processing
please compare it to my IRTC winning entry from a couple of rounds ago,
where I did a bunch of very similar effects the super-slow standard-pov way.
At least doing them the megapov way just adds a short bit of time to the
render, rather than making it 20 times slower!

Also, my suite of funky lens effects takes the form of a nicely
parameterized include file which I will be distributing with the source to
this image when I submit it to the IRTC. Ain't I nice?

Still to do:
-The aforementioned resurrection of the lava rivers
-fix that eliptical bug round the top of the volcano (anyone know why
overlapping media-containers don't play nice together?)
-steam wherever lava touches water/snow
-...and something else... the left side of the image looks too calm, any
suggestions?

And that's about it. What do you think?

--
Tek