POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Differences from 3.6 to 3.7 : Re: Differences from 3.6 to 3.7 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differences from 3.6 to 3.7
From: Chambers
Date: 8 Feb 2006 13:20:37
Message: <43ea3675$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> OK, here is a much simpler scene which demonstrates a similar speed
>> difference between 3.6 and 3.7.  Both again rendered on a P4 2.8 gHz, no
>> antialiasing, this time at 512x384.
>
> thanks for the report, problems like this are one of the issues we still
> need to chase down - fortunately it's just a bug and nothing fundamental
> (there is no fundamental reason for 3.7 to be significantly* slower than
> 3.6, so in those cases where it is it's almost always either a bug or a
> area that we haven't finished working on).

BTW, here is another scene which attempts to replicate the problem using
reflection.  Not only does it show that reflection is not significantly
slower in 3.7, in some cases reflection is even faster in 3.7 than 3.6!
  So the bug is not directly related to recursive calls, but only to
transmittance.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: