POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Differences from 3.6 to 3.7 : Re: Differences from 3.6 to 3.7 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differences from 3.6 to 3.7
From: Chris Cason
Date: 8 Feb 2006 00:19:22
Message: <43e97f5a$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> OK, here is a much simpler scene which demonstrates a similar speed
> difference between 3.6 and 3.7.  Both again rendered on a P4 2.8 gHz, no
> antialiasing, this time at 512x384.

thanks for the report, problems like this are one of the issues we still
need to chase down - fortunately it's just a bug and nothing fundamental
(there is no fundamental reason for 3.7 to be significantly* slower than
3.6, so in those cases where it is it's almost always either a bug or a
area that we haven't finished working on).

-- Chris

* there may be some areas that will show a slight slowdown on single-CPU
  non-hyperthreaded systems even once we've finished, as there were e.g.
  a number of places in the old code where shortcuts such as static caches
  were used that are incompatible with SMP operation, and in some cases
  the replacement may have more overhead. however we have some other plans
  to speed up the code elsewhere that ought to more than compensate for
  any such cases.